Pages



Monday 14 September 2015

Week 47: Guardian Angel Investigators


Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the package!! I loved the Loganberry drinks and all of the treats too. They were delicious! I shared some with my companion and my zone leaders.

I think summer is officially over. It’s starting to get a little chilly over here! The first snow fall is expected at the end of this month too. Nooooo! I’m not looking forward to it. lol Would you mind sending me some gloves? I could use a new thin pair of gloves as well as a thicker pair. I’m in need of some new sweaters too.

The leaves are starting to change colors. I’ll be sure to take some pictures and send them to you. :)

I had the opportunity to teach a lesson in gospel principles yesterday with one of my zone leaders! The lesson was on the law of chastity so it was pretty nerve wracking, especially having investigators in the class with us, but I think we did a pretty good job haha

September 11th is more than just a day of remembrance out here, it’s a sacred day. The town was quiet and every American flag was lowered to half staff. I could definitely feel a reverence on that day. I haven’t met anyone that personally saw the towers fall but I know nobody out here likes to talk about the events of 9/11.

Speaking of New Yorkers, I met someone on the streets the other day that wanted to tell me all about his interesting conspiracy theory. He said when it comes to national elections, the people in Western New York don’t have a voice, that their vote doesn’t count. Your vote only counts if you live in New York City. He went on to tell me how many people wish Western New York and New York City were divided into two separate states all together. I thought it was interesting and wondered if something like were even be possible. Western New Yorkers definitely don’t like the city people whatsoever.

This week we have been trying to meet with all of the recent converts and less active members in our area. It’s been a long week but a good week. On Saturday it was pouring rain! My companion and I got completely soaked because we had to do a lot of walking to limit the miles on our car. We walked all day in the rain. The Lord’s work needs to be done come rain or come shine!

One of the investigators we stopped to see is making awesome progress! We wanted to see if he had kept his commitments we left with him at our previous appointment. (The commitment was to read the restoration pamphlet) He said while he was reading it he felt the Holy Ghost testify to him that it was true. He told us he had never had that happen before out of all of the religions he has investigated. He is a really nice huge black guy. He told us how much he respects us and said that if anyone tried to mess with us he would protect us. I guess you don’t have anything to worry about mom! haha We found ourselves a guardian angel in Batavia. :) He went on to share his life story with us, which is pretty incredible. He was in a serious gang when he was younger but had a strong desire to change and become more acquainted with God. It’s an amazing story. It’s so awesome to be part of this experience and to have a place in his story of finding the gospel. I think it’s pretty cool. The next time we see him we’ll be setting a baptismal date! Let’s hope he accepts. I fasted for him yesterday. I want so badly for him to feel of God’s love and to see that this is the only true church on the earth.

We have a zone conference with President Francis on Thursday! I’m looking forward to it. There are people coming into town from Salt Lake to install some kind of device on all of the mission vehicles. I’m not sure what the devices are or what they do so I’ll have to fill you in later.

This week I have been studying the importance of member missionary work. In Chapter 9 of Preach My Gospel it explains why members must do their part. It’s very good.

Here’s a quote from the chapter…

President Hinckley said, “So many of us look upon missionary work as simply tracting. Everyone who is familiar with this work knows there is a better way. That way is through the members of the Church. Whenever there is a member who introduces an investigator, there is an immediate support system. The member bears testimony of the truth of the work. He is anxious for the happiness of his investigator friend. He becomes excited as that friend makes progress in learning the gospel… The full-time missionaries may do the actual teaching, but the member, wherever possible, will back up that teaching with the offering of his home to carry on this missionary service. He will bear sincere testimony of the divinity of the work. He will be there to answer questions when the missionaries are not around. He will be a friend to the convert who is making a big and often difficult change. … The process of bringing new people into the Church is not the responsibility alone of the missionaries. They succeed best when members become the source from which new investigators are found.”

Working with members makes it so much easier to find investigators!!! My commitment I want to leave with you guys is to look and pray for missionary opportunities. Share the gospel as much as you can and work with the missionaries in our home ward as often as possible.

I love and miss you very much!!

Elder Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design